Monday, March 04, 2013

Retooling time...

I'm in the middle of learning Lean Six Sigma, a quality process/practice that seems to be making it's presence felt in the corporate world. Look around many organizations that are serious with their improvement efforts and you will see the need for a Six Sigma Black Belt practitioner. Though the belt color may be just a way to organize their practitioners' seniority and capability, it is seen as some kind of manner to guarantee that someone knows what they are supposedly talking about.

So why did I enter into this particular arena? For starters, I am no complete stranger to quality processes - and practices. After all, having been exposed to the concepts of the Capability Maturity Model's CMMI for several years, you could say that the importance of quality has rubbed off on me. After all, when I was expected to teach the introductory and expansion courses of CMMI, I had to have a clear understanding of what all these meant.

Now comes 6 sigma, and it's underlying practices - and I would like to delve into this. Become a known practitioner and be part of the growing local community. It's also a nice coincidence that the Master Balck Belt handling all these training, happens to be a training colleague of mine in PM, and testing. Aside from that, I count at least two - possibly three colleagues also taking the program, so it's not as if I'm all alone in all this.

So yeah, even at the cusp of my fifth decade in this world, I find the need to improve my knowledge and skills. I've known this all along, and I don't hold it as a negative thing... after all, this was the life I got used to when I started learning programming and analysis way back when. It's simply retooling time for me - like it or not... and I don't 'not like' it. But I do hope I can find ways to better absorb all these ideas in a faster manner.

No comments: