Monday, November 26, 2012

Conducting Training in Cebu

Since September this year (2012), I have had four occasions to go to Cebu for training conduct purposes. These happened for different courses, with different partners - and yes, allowed for different drinking partners as well. My first outing to Cebu was to assist Jinkee with PADS in Pioneer bldg., and then the day after, conduct Testing fundamentals with Tess at the e-block within the Cebu IT park. All in all, it was a three day conduct, and we were billeted at the Summit Circle. I also got the chance to meet Carlos on my first night and experience STK ta Bay's gastronomic dishes. I also brought home some Chicharon and Cebu lechon. Ironically, I only tasted Cebu lechon (Ayers) when I brought it home to Manila. We all got an earlier flight than scheduled on our way home.

My second endeavor had me billeted at the Golden Prince with Brian and Marie - Brian had a separate conduct, while Marie and I had Project Management School - a near bruising 4-day conduct. The Golden Prince wasn't as good a location as the Summit, but at least it also had WiFi. Unfortunately for the Golden Prince, they had some roach problems which sort of black listed them from Accenture after our outing. We also had the opportunity to drink in Ayala's Gilligans, and I ended up drinking a pail filled with SMB light (roughly 6 bottles) plus one more bottle - I can't recall what we talked about that lasted until closing time of the mall... but it was indeed a lively discussion. On my last day, I got to meet with Dennies, who treated me to lunch. Brian and I then decided to take the cab to the airport and hopefully repeat getting an earlier flight... unfortunately, it seemed that PAL decided against doing such practices sometime between my last Cebu trip and this... so we ended up waiting for close to four hours in the airport. What I was able to do, however, was to take home some frozen (Zubuchon) lechon, and a few Belgian cookies courtesy of Carlos. It was a tiring experience, but at least Brian and I shared a cab home.

My third conduct was with Marie, while Gina and Francis had their own training. This time Marie and my training was for Test Design Fundamentals in Pioneer. This particular outing was also, I might add, the one where I almost drank nightly with Gina and Marie - twice at Marie's room (an idea of mine) so we could enjoy wine at a cheaper manner than having to pay corkage. We enjoyed wine, cheese and grapes. We enjoyed eating at places our students suggested to us. On our last day, I had a unique problem - I had bough some groceries on the assumption that I would consume them slowly each night. Now I had (among other things) a whole pint of milk. A task I had Francis help me with before leaving Accenture - we got to the airport and waited things out again, and I ended up bringing nearly four kilos of lechon.

My fourth conduct was with Ariel... this time, we were doing Estimating... a course I really don't have much love for - but can conduct when necessary. For the most part, Ariel and I had our own evening activities... not really bothering each other, and we would just meet for the taxi trip to e-block. We experienced the spicy, boneless lechon of Ayers on our second to the last day. I checked out the poolside of Summit Circle, and probably took the only alcoholic beverage of my trip this time around - one light beer. We decided, on our last day to try to finish early, because of the supposed traffic due to the fiesta in Mactan island. I don't know if we were lucky, but we did not encounter as heavy a traffic as we thought. We ended up killing time in the Marina plaza, and even got a massage. We arrived in the airport rejuvenated. I also, following the example of Jingo and Francis, left my car in the airport parking - thus making the trip home form NAIA less tiring and worrisome. I also brought home two kilos of frozen lechon - one which we've consumed... the other, still in the ref.

Now, what can I say about the training we've conducted? The classes were, for the most part, not that many, hence making the classes easier to handle... the participants, for the most part, were also quick in being able to absorb the ideas presented in each conduct. So I don't find the conducts as tiring as those I handle in Manila. Had it not been for the fact that arrangements have to be made with Ben every time I leave for Cebu, it would be fine for me to do these more often.

Having said that, it looks like I will have another trip to Cebu, for a PADS conduct wiht Jinkee mid-December. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: