Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A 1-11-11 epiphany in the middle of carousing:

Last night, I was at the De La Salle Alumni Association kick-off of the De La Salle Centennial celebration - yeah... one of those rare occasions that I'm actually out drinking with old batchmates in a La Salle event, instead of resting at home after office hours... and somewhere during said celebration - as the Hotdog band was playing, a batchmate strikes up a conversation with me.

having seen my Facebook pictures, he realized what I've been doing and was just all praises with people like me... after all, being a trainer was - in his words, not easy... as we had to do our work by making whatever we taught interesting and engaging. He even asked if this has given me more respect for our teachers of old... and yes, I had to... and have to agree. Our teachers of old were really imbued with a lot of patience (and more to spare) to be able to tolerate and mold our batch into who we eventually became.

Maybe none of them would match the profound relationship of a teacher-student like that of Morrie (of Tuesdays with Morrie fame) with me... but I can't deny their help... and influence. Granted there were forgetful ones - just as there are self-proclaimed trainers who believe they're good too - but this is not about the forgetful ones... this is about the teachers (and trainers) that get to inspire others... that make like (be it as a student or corporate worker) better for others - the molders... the empowerers (I know... there may not be such a word - but hey, this is my blog.

Anyway - that little conversation made me realize how others may see me as well... and I would have to thank my batchmate Jason Lim for reminding me... for pointing this out... I guess in my everyday role, I forget about these things... the regular becomes the mundane, the mundane becomes ignored or taken for granted - and I was taking my role... my job... for granted, without knowing such. Again... thanks Jason!

I felt a bit better after our talk... and I do like to reminisce about some of our teachers. how they've helped... how they've inspired - and yes, how patient they were. I just hope that in my own way; with what I'm doing, I somehow pass on a legacy of learning and inspiring to others. I know I did... no question about that - I hope I still do.

Should life throw me a curve ball and I leave training... I know I have great communicating skills - thanks to my years as a corporate trainer.

No comments: