Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I've been reading the book 'Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs' since last month - not that it's a boring read... on the contrary, it is interesting read (though at times it can come across as if the author is almost too much of a Steve fan... just almost), and the observations are head on accurate, too... it's just that the Christmas season forced me to sidetrack reading the book. Well, the past two days allowed me to catch up on my reading... so what was I trying to say before I got distracted?

Yes, well... the book does indeed give insights to how Steve presents - in an almost blow-by-blow (or in this case, presentation slide by slide analysis, which really scrutinized Steve's style. Heck, if has definitely given me insight to Steve's techniques and preparation techniques. Now why is this important?

For many, Steve Jobs is not just Apple's icon - he's one great presenter. His talks are viewed by many - not just live... but through YouTube as well (and lucky for me that the latter is available), and his style is worth studying... even emulating (in some instances - though I don't think I can get away with long sleeved black turtlenecks and jeans as my presentation wardrobe... but then again, I have not tried that yet.

Thing is, you don't need the book to watch Steve talk... but the book gives anyone reading it insight... it makes one focus on a few things in Steve's talks... and it has awakened the presentation designer in me... veering away from the default (and lazy thought process of) Powerpoint bulleted lists.

Of course, I don't see myself doing Steve-like presentations any time soon - but that does not mean I'll stop thinking about making these improvements whenever I see or need to use 'death by Powerpoint' designed slides. Yup... thanks to the book, I'm more aware... and likewise, thanks to the book, I had to rethink a few 'traditional practices' that we're asked to use when lecturing/presenting. In fact, the book has made me want to revisit a few presentations that I have created - and if only I had access to a time machine, I'd go back and do said presentations better.

As I said... I don't see myself doing these any time soon - but first chance I get... I will present using Steve's presentation style. BTW... it seems I already do some of these things. Good to know too.

No comments: