Friday, October 26, 2012

Trying my hand at being a College Professor

Yup. You read right. This past semester, I tried my hand at being a substitute professor in a relatively new college. Here's how it happened... I was conducting a specialized training for a friend - having a few of his staff, and volunteer staff as my students - a sideline while I was relatively having a lot of free time on my hands. Well, it so happened that the sister-in-law of a friend (who was also in my class; the friend that is... not the sister-in-law) suddenly found herself a faculty short.

It seemed that their Marketing 15 (Internet Marketing) class for their College of Business, was missing a professor. My friend asked me if I was interested to take on the slack, and I said 'sure, why not'. After all, the class was only on Saturday afternoons.

So it was, that I found myself going through interviews, teaching demos and the likes of which I have not gone through in... well, decades (I think). They found me fit for the course (of course), and asked me to submit some requirements (of which I've yet to fully copy with - like I said, its been a while).

I met my students... 19 individuals, and to say I got to really know them would be a lie. After all, how can you get to really know all of them when you only get to meet them once a week? And only for three hours at that? It was really a struggle for me to have this class... Aside from the fact that I came in mid of the semester, I also had my Cebu trainings coinciding with my schedules.

Needless to say, I got through... had to design a Final Exam and guide the students through creating web sites for advocacy programs, while preparing lecture materials based on a PowerPoint presentation; which in turn was based on a book that I did not have. Though we were using the computer lab, there were times when Internet access was troublesome. It was during these times that I felt a bit frustrates, but persevered on for the benefit of the students... after all, it was not their fault that all these things happened.

The semester finally and eventually ended with me hanging in there. For the students and my friend's sister-in-law. Yes, there were times I wanted to say I may not web free to teach next semester, specially if Cebu will still be in the agenda, but to say I did not in any way enjoy this experience, would likewise be a lie. I like helping people...Guiding them in one way or another, and I hope that I will get to handle another class - though this time, with a better prepared plan and curriculum. Though I don't see myself doing this too soon either.

Meanwhile, it's the semester break, and I have to submit my requirements. In that regard, I've emailed people, scanned certificates and found some old articles I wrote, because apparently, these are all important in any Education institution. Ah well... On the other side, being called 'Professor' in a college, has a nice ring to it... even if it's just an informal title.

No comments: