Thursday, June 02, 2011

Do I miss it?

You might be wondering why I started of with such a question. Not surprising since I've not been updating this blog for months. So what exactly am I alluding to here? Simple... I'm currently in the more demanding role of a project. Specifically the role of a PMO for a multinational organization. Add to the fact that this project has a very aggressive time frame and you can imagine how the complexity just piles up. Then there's the fact that I feel a bit like a fish otu of water since this is an SAP project where I've little experience regarding the software or infrastructure side whatsoever. Interesting, right?

I've been doing this for close to two months now - actually a month and a half, and by providence's hand, I'm sure to do it for the next three month - seeing the project to completion. Yes it's a struggle - and at times, things can get disheartening when I'm trying to consider what to say, what to do in terms of concepts. Making reports becomes a struggle... simply because, half the time I'm trying to interpret what is being said. I know the methodology - or at least, the idea behind them... thanks to my teaching experience with Project Management, but even then, it's an entirely different scenario. It's like I know football (or soccer, to some people) well enough - but the problem is, I'm now in an American Football arena.

So with all these challenges piled up - do I miss it? The time when I was more a Training Consultant working with Phoenix-One, teaching Accenture employees? Definitely... after all, in that area (or arena), I was doing quite well... doing okay. Heck, I was more than just okay. I was comfortable with what I was doing, I had control and I could even predict a few things and by doing so , manipulate them - like training pacing to match my needs or moods. I liked being in the spotlight (sort of) and being appreciated for helping people learn.

So am I regretting this shift? Not really... yeah it's harder - a whole lot harder than I imagined, and I feel that I may have been given a cheap deal (relatively speaking) but at the same time, this is a learning experience and a wake-up call to me. Learning since I do get PMO exposure, some rudimentary SAP project exposure as well and I get to stretch my wings - btu most important of all, I get to have an increased earning capacity.

One of my main frustrations is that I find trainers to be under-appreciated, in a sense, people like us, admire us... but they put little stock (or importance) to training. When push comes to shove, it's one of the first things to get pulled out f the expense side of a business that needs to penny pinch. The practice gets little respect, and the trainers are not seen as valuable assets - people don't see the ripple effect that a great trainer has on the workforce.

It is because of this lack of appreciation that trainers don't get the top pay they deserve. It's what attracted me to the project to begin with. I mean, I would very much love to be a trainer - at the day's end, the fulfillment is there, I don't need to worry about countless unfinished business, and my environment is contained and controllable. But the pay that should go with it is not there. And with a son who's just entered college, I need a higher earning capacity.

So... do I miss it? Hell yeah. I also miss working with my training colleagues. But do I look forward to training again? Yes I would - if the price is right. But should I be offered another project, I might just jump into that again just to ensure that my earning capacity remains what it is - if not higher. Until I get a better deal elsewhere... preferably training related - but with a much better paycheck, I'll be working projects.

On the other hand, I just might find a way to train on weekends. Heck, that may even be therapy for me - sort of.

No comments: