Leading at the Edge
I've just finished reading the book titled "Leading at the Edge" by Dennis N.T. Perkins, wherein he introduces 10 Strategies for Leading at the Edge. By Edge, the author means highly demanding situations - wherein life's normal challenges, as we see them (or feel them) are felt in much greater impact when survival may be at stake... where one's actions may very well be the basis for continuing... or disappearing on the face of this Earth.
In giving us these 10 strategies, Perkins uses, as an analogy, the adventures of a famed explorer Earnest Shackleton and his Imperial Trans-Antarctic expedition. Let me list out these strategies, just for posterity...
1. Vision and Quick Victories - Never loose sight of the ultimate goal and focus energy on short-term objectives.
2. Symbolism and Personal Example - Set a personal example with visible, memorable symbols and behaviors.
3. Optimism and Reality - Instill optimism and confidence, but stay grounded on reality.
4. Stamina - Take care of yourself; Maintain your stamina and let go of guilt.
5. The Team Message - Reinforce the team message constantly: "We are one - we live or die together".
6. Core Team Values - Minimize status differences, and insist on courtesy and mutual respect.
7. Conflict - Master conflict - deal with anger in small doses, and avoid needless power struggles.
8. Lighten Up - Find something to celebrate and something to laugh about.
9. Risk - Be willing to take the Big Risk.
10. Tenacious Creativity - Never give up - there's always another move.
If you wish to know more about these 10 strategies, I strongly suggest purchasing (or borrowing) a copy of this book... in fact, I would advice the earlier option, since the book has self assessments that one can use, and return to at latter dates to see how he, or she, is doing regarding leading at the Edge.
Want to know more? Here's a PDF from www.syncreticsgroup.com showing a 4 page interview with Perkins. It shed more light on the topics - and should be a good enough teaser for anyone wondering if the book is really worth getting. I've provided the link to where I found the file:
http://www.syncreticsgroup.com/pdfs/Interview%20with%20
Dennis%20Perkins%20about%20Leading%20at%20the%20Edge.pdf
I shall be posting my results on said assessments in a separate entry.
No comments:
Post a Comment