One of the greater challenges of a facilitator is the lead in query usually mentioned by us in any training. Its simple, yet can be very risky for some - and yet it also shows that we are ready to take on anything that our participants may dish out. What is this lead in query?
"What Questions do you have?"
This means we are inviting anyone to ask questions about the topic - but things don't really just limit themselves to what was discussed - as is often the case, many of my participants ask queries related to the topic, yet are focused on their hoping to hear some comment, opinion or clarification about their situation, problem or concern. At times the questions seem innocent enough, yet they carry deep undertones.
As a facilitator therefore, I need to consider the question - its possible different dimensions and implications. I, of course answer it as best I can. At times a truthful answer may not be what the question's owner needs - at other times, I have to qualify my response as a 'personal opinion' as opposed to this being company policy - specially when what I am about to say is not official company standard lines or answers. Most of the time, I remain candid - and I guess that this is one trait my participants respect in me.
I am willing to answer the question - but I clarify if what I am saying is what the 'official line' is, and if I have a varying opinion to this , I likewise specify my 'personal' counterpoint. In answering some questions, I have to clarify what 'hat' I am wearing - what viewpoint I am coming from... whether it is as an empathizing colleague, or a more measured response from a manager/leader. People like this approach - they know I'm not keeping things form them, and they respond with positive feedback.
The Q & A portion is a dreaded segment not just in trainings, but in public presentations - and many who dread this probably fear themselves looking incompetent or foolish. This may be true if one cannot give a valid answer and then tries to give it anyway. There is also the fear of ridicule - and though I may have had my share of irate or difficult audience members, I have yet to see someone openly contradict me or shame me while I am talking. Why so? Am I just lucky? No... truth to tell, I inform my participants if their query is answerable by me - or if they should consult others about the answer they are looking for.
I don't pretend to be an expert, I don't' force any issue - I simply inform... either by giving an answer - or two, by giving my personal opinion or measured advice, but I will also be the first to admit if I am not an expert in a particular field - but this does not mean I won't help them explore their dilemma, query or concern. I extend a hand to help - if not answer, to understand.
Maybe this helps them - if not by finding the answer, by at least realizing that I am willing to help. Sometimes, this is enough to turn what may be a possible vociferous complaint for not helping them, into a grudging acceptance of my limitations. There is no such thing as a master of all things - that is just hubris... and hubris is the dichotomy of earnestness.
Answer honestly, answer candidly - if need be, explain your answer - if you can't address the question, offer to help them find the answer or solution - then own up to solving it, to helping them. That should get anyone through those next challenges in handling queries when said difficult or challenging questions do pop up.
No comments:
Post a Comment