I've recently been searching for alternative options for my future work. "How?" - you ask? Well, for starters, I've purchased the latest version of "What Color is Your Parachute" byRichard Nelson Bolles, to see how his techniques can help me realize what potetials I've been missing out on. From there, it would just be a simple case of comparing what I have with waht I can do or want.
The thing is, I'm stuck in between some pages, specifically the parts where I'm being asked to take stock of my insterests... or skills. Its not that I'm confused or anything, but more likely reluctant to choose a narrow set of skills to best describe me. The inventory of skills I saw had me able to cover almost 2/3 of all the items in the list. Hard pressed to choose just five, and I no wrealize that this can be a daunting task of trimming things down.
The other reason for my reluctance? I would obviously end up with the same skill-set that I'm currenty using... just for the simple reason that these skills are what I've been honing ever since I've been training. Its not necessarily a good or bad thing, btu I just fear that I'll end up considering the same thing I'm in now... that is, training - then what would that mean?
What if, one's best destiny is rather limiting in the economic scale? I've already pointed out that training (at least, here in the Philipine corporate sector) seems limited in terms of growth, due to a preception that it is not as critical as marketing or sales or finance. Which therefore gives the reason for not having competitive pay rates - as compared to the other work departments I've just mentioned.
Might I be missing a glaring point? After all, the skills I cite as seemingly connected with being a facilitator are strong communication, facilitation of either a training or meeting (either way, its knowledge exchange - thus communication), and when I say communicating - I mean both written and verbal. Then there's the ability to empathize, maybe follow through in an analytical sense... to understand whre the other person is coming from.
So what is this glaring point? Well, isn't communication and understanding very important, regardless of which industry one is in? Might this really be the reaosn I find it hard to consider another career path - because too many are possibly open to me? Might I therefore be like a cat, trying to catch too many birds - only to end up with none?
Man... am I confused. Things are a whole lot simpler whrn you know what you need to focus on. But when so many options rise up, oen wonders which is the better option. So why can't I choose? Is it a fear of choosing wrong? But if I'm left with inaction, won't that be equally wrong? You bet it will. So choose I must... and choose wisely.
Soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment