Wednesday, July 13, 2005

What is a facilitator?

What exactly is a facilitator, one might ask. What does he/she do? I can only answer the question with what I do. I act as a guide, resource person, emcee (that is, master of ceremonies - but in a more informal manner), discussion leader and even a sounding board for any participant in a training or meeting.

If a training - yes, I can be considered the trainer... if meeting, I can be called the discussion leader, parliamentarian or even the person who gets to make sure the meeting progresses - as it should, and not get stalled for lack of process, understanding or cooperation.

Sounds important? Definitely! Necessary? You bet! Most meetings and trainings have their effectiveness dependent on such a competent person.

That being said, how have I been able to facilitate my trainings? (Yes, I am more a training facilitator than a meeting facilitator - though I readily must say I can handle meetings equally well, if given the chance) I would have to say that I do quite well.

Now before I am accused of egotistical characteristics, let me point out three reasons why i say this.

1) I have been an experienced training facilitator for more than a decade and a half
2) I have, on occasion, been part of training the trainers programs - and have proven both to my facilitators, and my fellow participants that I am a world class facilitator
3) My trainings have, when applicable (or necessary) had evaluations or feedback from our participants, and I have constantly rated high on my participants marks.

This Blog will be a venue for my feedback - my comments about what I am facilitating. As I enter my views, I will try to preserve any client confidentiality by sticking to acronyms when such can keep certain items or people a secret - as my main client is a very well known firm... one that is jealous of its security and confidentiality.

No comments: